Market Review: Open
Review of the regulatory framework for metering services
On 18 November 2021 the AEMC announced that the Review will be taking a short pause until April 2022 to enable resources to be temporarily allocated to other critical projects.
The AEMC remains committed to reforms to the regulatory framework for metering services. Smart meters and the data they can provide are critical to the energy transition and the current approach to rolling out smart meters not fit for purpose. When the review recommences, the AEMC will work with stakeholders to develop a package of measures to accelerate the deployment of smart meters in the National Electricity Market.
These measures will include a target which may be based on a range of geography, age and other factors.
In conjunction with these measures the AEMC will work with stakeholders to:
- develop processes to enable better access to data
- work within current framework of retailers rolling out smart meters
- look to solve include key inefficiencies and costs, such as site remediation.
The AEMC appreciates stakeholder’s engagement and contribution on this work to date. Stakeholders will be able to provide supplementary submissions when the review recommences.
Further information on the review’s pause and the direction for the review can be found in the information sheet and the Reference Group slides.
Progress to date and the Directions paper
On 16 September 2021 the AEMC published a Directions paper for the Review of the regulatory frameworks for metering services. It set out:
- the key issues and challenges that are preventing the efficient installation of smart meters to achieve a higher penetration
- the Commission's preliminary position on changes to the regulatory framework
- options and areas of focus the Commission is seeking further feedback on.
58 submissions to the Directions paper were received. These can be found below.
|Metering review directions paper||Information sheet|
|Newgate Research final report||NERA Economic Consulting report|
Reference Group Documents
|Terms of Reference||Information Sheet|
|Consultation Paper||Stakeholder Submission Template|
|Review problem statement and objectives|